Karen Organization of Minnesota
The Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM) is the first social services agency in the country founded by Karen refugees from Burma. The organization offers a variety of programs to help refugees transition to life in a new country and achieve their goals. They also provide resources to help organizations learn how to work with this growing community. The mission of the Karen Organization of Minnesota is to enhance the quality of life for all refugees from Burma in Minnesota.
KOM is a leading service provider helping over 5,000 refugees each year achieve their goals. Their success is due to:
- Programs designed by and for the community: KOM is founded and led by refugees from Burma who understand the needs and goals of the community we serve.
- Providing wraparound support: Our staff take time to understand each person’s situation and make sure they can access all of the resources they need.
- Strong partnerships: KOM values working with partners to help refugees access more opportunities and to help other service providers learn how to work with this growing community.
Programs and Services:
- Social Services
- Refugee social services
- Elders program
- Family advocate
- Weaving circle
- Community Health
- Karen tobacco-free program
- Mental health and family relationships
- Karen family planning program
- Karen chemical dependency collaborative
- Youth Development
- Mentorship program
- Summer program
- Walk-in Services
- KOM serves refugees who have immediate needs through a walk-in schedule. KOM also has a financial worker from Ramsey County who works in their office once a week.
- Marshall Office
- KOM provides services and leadership training to the Karen community in Marshall, MN. They place refugees in jobs, assist with social services paperwork, facilitate a leadership cohort, and more.