SEA ROOTS LANGUAGE WORKSHOPS
The SEAD Project presents SEA Roots: Language Workshops - Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Vietnamese language literacy workshops in 8 weeks; integrated with elements of culture and storytelling. Classes are led by a team of fluent and qualified Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Vietnamese instructors.
The workshops are 8-weeks language literacy intensives for those who want to learn an introduction to reading/writing/speaking in Hmong, Khmer, Lao or Vietnamese. Content is integrated with a snapshot in topics such as history, social issues, culture. Classes are once per week for eight weeks, and are offered in the Fall (beginner) and Spring (accelerated).
Registration Extended - REGISTRATION CLOSES ON APRIL 15TH, 2022. Once read, please feel free to scroll to the bottom of this page to register!
FOR 2020 & BEYOND
We’re excited to now offer Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Vietnamese language courses. Due to the pandemic, SEAD workshops will be online. Please read carefully, as there are significant changes to the structure of the course to accommodate different types of learners who enter the class. The fall course will be the regular course for non-fluent speakers and spring will be an accelerated course for fluent speakers. Everyone who registers must complete a self assessment (Step 1 below) to evaluate which course is appropriate to take.
Please note the differences in the course descriptions below:
- Beginner Language Literacy for Non-Fluent Speakers (offered in Fall only)
- This course offers beginning language foundations of alphabet, grammar, and introductory themes.
- If you have little or no prior experience in speaking the language, you should take this course.
- If you speak the language fluently, you should not take this course.
- Majority of the class will be taught in English.
- Accelerated Language Literacy for Fluent Speakers (offered in Spring only)
- This course offers advanced foundations of alphabet, grammar, themes - as well as formal language skills building.
- If you are a fluent speaker who has little or no prior experience in reading and writing in the language, you should take this course.
- If you are a fluent speaker who wants a refresher or to improve your reading, writing, and public speaking skills; you should take this course.
- Majority of the class will be taught in the heritage language.
All information submitted on this page is confidential and will be used solely for the purposes of the language program. For questions or more information, contact us at email@example.com.
ABOUT THIS SEASON'S COURSES
SPRING 2022 WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY VIA ZOOM ON SATURDAYS FROM APRIL 23RD TO JUNE 18TH, 2022 FROM 10:00AM - 1:30PM US CENTRAL TIME (CT)
The course is open to the general public, those who are English-speaking heritage and non-heritage. Students must be at least 17+ years old (if younger, you must check in with the teacher). In order to participate in the virtual course, students should read the technology requirements here.
Registration Fee: $450.00 (plus processing fees) or Sliding Scale Fee
One can request a Sliding Scale Fee, based on income and if you identify as Southeast Asian and/or BIPOC. The fee covers teachers’ time, coursebooks, resources, materials, and technology. To secure your place in class, the registration form and payment must be completed.
If cost is a barrier, you can apply for a scholarship (full or partial).