SEA ROOTS LANGUAGE WORKSHOPS
The SEAD Project presents SEA Roots: Language Workshops - Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Viet language literacy workshops in 8 weeks; integrated with elements of culture and storytelling. Classes are led by a team of fluent and qualified Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Vietnamese instructors.
The workshops are 8-weeks language literacy intensives for those who want to learn an introduction to reading/writing/speaking in Hmong, Khmer, Lao or Vietnamese. Content is integrated with a snapshot in topics such as history, social issues, culture. Classes meet online on Saturday mornings for eight weeks, and are offered in the Spring and Fall. The difficulty of the course is determined by student registration and ability.
Registration has closed for our Spring 2023 classes.
Please look out for fall registration in August 2023.
IMPRESS YOURSELF. IMPRESS YOUR ELDERS.
We’re excited to now offer Hmong, Khmer, Lao, and Vietnamese language courses. SEAD workshops are entirely online for inclusion of students from all over the country.
Please read ALL of the following information carefully. Everyone who registers must complete a self assessment (Step 1 below) to evaluate which course is appropriate to take.
We offer two types of courses, which is dependent on our students ability at the time of registration:
Beginner Language Literacy for Non-Fluent Speakers
- This course offers beginning language foundations of alphabet, grammar, and introductory themes.
- If you have little or no prior experience in speaking the language, you should take this course.
- If you speak the language fluently, you should not take this course.
- Majority of the class will be taught in English.
Accelerated Language Literacy for Fluent Speakers
- This course offers advanced foundations of alphabet, grammar, themes—as well as formal language skills building.
- If you are a fluent speaker who has little or no prior experience in reading and writing in the language, you should take this course.
- If you are a fluent speaker who wants a refresher or to improve your reading, writing, and public speaking skills; you should take this course.
- Majority of the class will be taught in the heritage language.
Again, course difficulty is determined after student registration. We will be in touch with all perspective students once registration is closed. All information submitted on this page is confidential and will be used solely for the purposes of the language program. For questions or more information, contact us at email@example.com.
ABOUT THIS SEASON'S COURSES
Spring Workshops are now underway. Please look for fall programming in August 2023.
The course is open to the general public, those who are English-speaking heritage and non-heritage. Students must be at least 17+ years old (if younger, you must check in with the teacher). In order to participate in the virtual course, students should read the technology requirements here.
Registration Fee: $450.00 (plus processing fees) or Sliding Scale Fee
One can request a Sliding Scale Fee, based on income and if you identify as Southeast Asian and/or BIPOC. The fee covers teachers’ time, coursebooks, resources, materials, and technology. To secure your place in class, the registration form and payment must be completed.
If cost is a barrier, you can apply for a scholarship (full or partial).