Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions: Submitting Your Story
Call for Stories is located at www.theseadproject.org/stories which is owned and led by The Southeast Asian Diaspora Project (SEAD). While SEAD has an internal review process for all stories, SEAD reserves the right to select, restrict, and remove any story submission uploaded to the Site that violates these Terms & Conditions.
By submitting your Story and all Visuals associated with it by visiting our Site, you agree to the following Terms & Conditions:
- You are solely responsible for all content and information contained in your Story and the consequences of submitting your Story.
- You retain ownership of your Story.
- By submitting your Story, you expressly grant:
- SEAD the right to use your Story in any and all media, worldwide, in perpetuity, without compensation to you;
- (ii) SEAD the right to use your Story and/or excerpts from your Story for marketing and promotional purposes on our website and social media and in any and all media, in perpetuity,
- (iii) SEAD permission to make your Story available to the general public, in a public exhibition, public media campaign, or in educational projects created by SEAD (i.e. zine, podcast, digital library),
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- If you are under 18 and wish to submit a Story as a student project, a teacher, parent, or guardian must give you written permission to do so (please contact SEAD for consent form).
- You own all content within your Story or have received permission from the person or entity that owns the intellectual property rights.
- Your Story will follow themes and recommended storytelling guidelines.
- While we understand concerns with the scope of memory, your Story is truthful and accurate to the best of your knowledge.
- Upon review, SEAD may make suggested edits for grammar, mechanics, etc and will ensure to communicate final Story to you before it is publicly published.
- Do not include within your Story any photographs, full names, video or audio recordings or any other personally identifiable information of children currently under the age of 18, without first obtaining verifiable consent from the child’s parent/guardian. Photographs, videos, and/or audio recordings that include children under the age of 18 may only be shared if you are the parent or legal guardian of each child represented, or if you have obtained prior written consent from each child’s parent/guardian. You will be required to submit this written documentation to SEAD upon request (please contact SEAD for consent form).
- By submitting your Story, you waive any privacy expectations you may have with regards to your Story. Do not include any private or personally identifiable information in your Story that you do not want shared publicly.
- If SEAD selects your Story for posting, visitors may share your Story via social media platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. Be aware that these sites operate independently of SEAD and have their own privacy policies.
- SEAD will not accept stories that contain content that is considered discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory, abusive, harassment, or threaten individuals; contains obscenity, false information, unlawful, libelous, or pornographic content; or in any way infringes on the rights of fellow humans and especially to the constituents and communities we serve.
- You understand that SEAD is under no obligation to include your Story on the Site or otherwise.
- If your story is selected for any publications and exhibit, you understand that once it is in final draft form and approved by you before publication and has already passed the review stage and sent to the printer, you cannot ask for your story to be removed due to the time, costs, and resources associated with such an ask.
- You agree to indemnify and hold SEAD and any entity, individuals, etc we work with on this project harmless from and against any claims alleging that your Story violates their rights, or from any breach by you of these Terms & Conditions.
- To request removal of your Story from the Site, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. You understand that even though SEAD can remove your Story from the Site, SEAD cannot control or remove your Story from any social media platforms or third party outlets that may have already shared your story before it was removed from our website.
- SEAD’s Promises To You & Your Story:
- SEAD will do our best to honor and hold your story and narrative as is.
- SEAD will make sure to engage you in the gathering and editing process.
- SEAD will make accessible all and any recordings and materials that includes your story.
- SEAD’s values and principles are committed to just storytelling, ethics, and to do no harm; therefore, if at anytime during the process that you feel we have not upheld our values and principles, please hold us with compassionate accountability.
If you have any questions about these Story Submission Terms & Conditions, please contact SEAD at email@example.com.